Phase I of the Cleveland Velodrome project in Slavic Village is scheduled to open in June of 2012 – but we need your help. We continue to make steady progress on fundraising for Phase I of the project. To date, we have raised over $200,000 towards our $300,000 Phase I goal – leaving a $100,000 gap. To close the gap we are seeking 45 new Founders Club Members at $1,000 each ($45,000), have a grant request pending with Cleveland Foundation ($50,000) and a funding request pending with Cleveland Clinic ($10,000 to $25,000). We are also preparing grant requests for Brentwood Foundation and Bruening Foundation. Now is the time – we need to close the gap by March 1 so that we can achieve our targeted June 2012 grand opening.
The $200,000 we have raised is comprised as follows:
· $50,000 from JAM Foundation (Matt Litzler, one of our Board members)
· $50,000 donation from track builder
· $25,000 from Panther Expedited Trucking/Clarke Family Foundation (http://www.pantherexpedite.com/)
· $75,000 in Founders Club Pledges (75 members at $1,000 each). Goal is 120 members – we need 45 more!
· $5,000 in Gold Medal Club Pledges (1 pledge at $5,000, Morris Wheeler)
I would like for you to consider making a $1,000 pledge and become a member of our Founders Club. In return for your pledge you receive a three (3) year free membership, a brick paver with your name in the infield and recognition on our website. Here is the link to the pledge form for your convenience. You can also go to our new website and make your $1,000 payment online.
The civic and community benefits of the project are best summarized as follows:
· Youth programming for the community – free coaching, track time and equipment rental for youth aged 18 and under;
· Affordable and structured adult programming for recreational and competitive cyclists – promote the sport of cycling for its numerous health and wellness benefits.
· Urban redevelopment of Slavic Village/Broadway neighborhood – our multi phase project will create economic impact through annual visitors, hotel room nights and jobs.
Feel free to call Fast Track Board President Brett Davis at 216-256-4285 with any questions.
Also, here is a link to an intro to track racing for roadies. It’s a good read. Here is a brief synopsis… less travel, more spectators, great way to get in shape and the best way to get faster in both sprinting and time trials.