Tips and Etiquette
Participation in Open Riding sessions is available for riders that have completed Track 101 and have purchased a Membership or a Session Pass. No reservation is required to participate in Open Riding, just show up. A Velodrome staff member will check you in during your visit. To purchase your Membership or individual Session Passes, please visit our on line system. You can also purchase Velodrome products and/or services during your visit.
Please allow for 15 to 20 minutes of extra time to get the paperwork out of the way and to get your rental bike set up. Dress for the season and bring a helmet, gloves, and cycling pedals, if you have them. If not, we have everything you will need.
Here are some tips and etiquette for that are relevant for Open Riding sessions:
1. Whenever possible, please enter and leave the track on the back straight
2. Maintain a minimum speed of at least 30 km/h (18 mph) on the track
3. Elbow signal and shoulder check prior to changing a line
4. Give other riders lots of room when passing and let them know where you are as necessary
5. Change the lead of a paceline just ahead of turn 1 or turn 3. Please elbow signal and shoulder check prior before doing so.
6. Do not do laps on the cote (i.e. apron) or between the red and the blue lines
7. No passing underneath riders who are riding in the pole lane (i.e. between black and red lines).
8. Passing underneath those on the blue line is acceptable, but please say “stick” or “stick up.”
9. Ride in the appropriate pace line — faster riders on the blue, slower on the black